Benijofar - the best in Costa Blanca
Benijofar town in Spain - Guide to Spain
Benijofar is a cosy town located between the Costa Blanca shore and the mountains in the province of Alicante, Valencian Autonomous Community. Translated from Arabic, “Benihofar” literally means “The son of pearls.” And that’s for a reason.
The local climate is sheer poetry: 320 sunny days a year. Benijofar is located in a unique place protected from cold atmospheric fronts. It is almost never cloudy here, and rains are very rare, to say nothing of the snow. The average annual air temperature here is + 18 degrees.
Benijofar occupies an area of four and a half square kilometres. There is a pleasure in such a size. For example, you don't need a car to get around the town. Everything you need is within a walking distance.
Bars and restaurants are compactly located in the main street, which is only five minutes away from any spot of the town.
There are dozens of places to enjoy international cuisine in the town: a curry house, a Mexican restaurant, Dutch and English bakeries, popular Chinese restaurants, etc. And you can feel a very special inimitable and friendly family atmosphere everywhere.
The A7 express road is close to Benijofar, making it easy to travel around Spain and Europe by car. Alicante or Murcia airports are just within a 20-25 minutes’ drive.
The beaches near Benijofar are front-rate. Many of them have been awarded the blue flag for their impeccable cleanliness and sprawling infrastructure and are considered the best in Spain.
- In a 15 minutes’ drive away are the incredible white sandy Guardamar beaches, over 15 kilometres long, with dunes and crystal-clear warm waters of the Mediterranean Sea;
- A 10 minutes' drive will take you to the famous beaches of Torrevieja — Del Cura, De Los Locos, Los Naufragos — as well as to spectacular rocky coves where you can snorkel;
- A 15 minutes’ drive will bring you to the pink salty Torrevieja lagoons, striking you with their beauty and healing properties. They are also home to many rare birds, including, of course, beautiful flamingos. These lakes maintain their own microclimate, which is especially recommended for people suffering from respiratory diseases and allergies. And beside that, the climate is congenial for pregnant women and children.
Benijofar is also a unique place for active lifestyle fans. Outdoor sports are available all year round. Running, cycling, water sports, swimming, diving, kiting, sailing and more.
- In Rojales, just a 5 minutes’ drive, you will find the famous golf courses. The Costa Blanca is known as a golf lover's paradise. There is also a famous water park for children and adults;
- A 10 minutes’ drive towards Torrevieja will take you to a large number of fitness clubs, yoga centres, tennis courts and soccer fields.
The town lies on the banks of the Segura River and is an important agricultural centre of the region. Vegetables and fruits (especially oranges) grown here are supplied to all markets of the town and the province of Alicante. No wonder Benijofar is called "the land of orange flowers."
The landscape of Benijofar is adorned with many citrus trees. Between November and March, you will find here oranges, lemons and tangerines in abundance. Apart from these fruits, many vegetables are grown here, including tomatoes, broccoli, artichokes, eggplants, etc. So, if you welcome healthy food, this town is for you.
According to official data for 2019, about 5 thousand people live in Benijofar. The population of the town was largely replenished by foreigners, as it is a favourite vacation spot for residents of the UK and Northern Europe. They account for more than 60% of the total number of permanent residents.